After my “breakthrough/breakdown” post I thought I’d give you an update on several things I have learned since I started my relationship with healthy eating.
- Organic food needs to be eaten quickly. Planning your meals ahead of time so you know exactly what you will need for the week is the only way to do it if you are buying organic food. Organic veggies especially will go bad if they sit in your refrigerator. Just goes to show you the “crap” I have been eating that stayed fresh for weeks. Yikes!
- I always thought that I drank enough water, but I wasn’t. I was told that a good amount of water per day is to drink in ounces 1/2 of your body weight. 120/2 = 60, so I should be drinking 60 ounces of water per day. Is it possible that I already see my skin clearing up? Yup it is and yup, I did just tell you that I weigh 120 lbs. Dear god.
- Fruits should be eaten before 2pm or so I’m told. To get the most nutrients from the fruit, eat it first thing in the morning and then don’t touch it after 2pm – too much sugar.
- Flax Seed can be sprinkled on anything and everything. Do it. It’s really good for you.
- I’ve learned that I can’t have anything in the house to tempt me. If there is sugar in the house, I will eat it. I have no will power. If you have a sweet tooth, check out the unsweetened dried fruit bars at Trader Joe’s. No, it’s not an M&M blizzard from DQ (extra M&Ms) but it at least eliminates the “must have chocolate now” feeling.
- Which brings me to…TJ’s!! Trader Joe’s is maybe the best place to grocery shop, ever. Most of their products are organic but even if they aren’t organic they don’t have preservatives, added sugars, or any of those crazy words you can’t pronounce in the ingredients. Not to mention the prices there are FANTASTIC. Organic eating is certainly more expensive, but not at TJ’s. It’s my savior.
- I have taken Fish Oil for years. For heart health mainly but Fish Oil also has been proven to help with your skin and brain health too. Little did I know that the Fish Oil supplements that I have been taking from Target are loaded with “fillers.” If you want the full benefits from Fish Oil, you need to get pure fish oil. I have switched to the Nordic Naturals brand of Fish Oil that you can find at Whole Foods or I’m sure any other natural food store.
If it’s possible (whether it’s my mind or not) I feel better, I have more energy and love being more aware of what is going into my mouth. Now don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy my red wine, I am not going to stop eating at my favorite Thai restaurant, Thanh Do and certainly will not pass up a slice of Pizza Luce but as my wise dad once said “everything in moderation, including moderation.” If I can eat organic healthy meals most of the time, there is no shame in indulging once and while.